Sunday, August 7, 2011

To vaccinate against EHV or not?

I've heard some vets recommend vaccinating with the regular rhinovirus vaccine and others saying to do so would weaken the horse's immune system. I vaccinated my gelding today with the dead version of the virus so I'm not concerned about his immune system getting weakened (I know the vaccine doesn't prevent the neurological form, but it's still being recommended to prevent the normal rhino from taking hold which can apparently predispose a horse to the neurological form). I've heard too that it's good to vaccinate against it right now so that the horse's immune system is amped up against it. Is this just one of those things that everyone is going to have a different opinion on? What have you heard about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment